Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eggs

I've always been a supporter of simplicity in cooking.  Jorge and I love trying out pizza at new pizza places, and when we do we always order a plain, cheese pizza, because it's the best way to taste the pizza's quality in its most basic form.  Toppings can cloud the true flavor of sauce and cheese, and take the focus off of a decent crust.  I watched a show not too long ago called Chef Academy (or something of that nature) where Jean-Cristophe Novelli opened a new culinary institute in L.A. and took on a slew of students of varying culinary abilities.  As a pre-test, he had each one cook eggs, however they wanted, and had a table full of ingredients they could add as they wished.  Most made omelettes, filled with garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese, etc.  I always thought that if I had been given that challenge I would have made my favorite egg....a simple, over-medium egg with a little salted butter.  It is somewhat of an art to achieve the perfect over-medium egg, because the yolk has to be of a very particular consistency.  It's much easier to turn out a loose-yolk or a well done yolk. That, to me, is the perfect, masterful egg.

Olivia:
So, to elaborate somewhat on the over-medium egg, I like to start it out in a pre-heated pan with some melted, salted butter.  I put the heat at medium-low, and sometimes adjust it to slightly lower depending on how it's cooking.  It is important to cook it on this lower heat because not only does it get to its perfect consistency this way, but it avoids browning the white, which is a travesty.  I crack the egg into the pan and let it cook until the white of the egg turns opaque, but is not cooked through.  Then I flip it carefully, so as not to break the yolk, and let it cook very slowly and gently for a few more minutes, until it has the right amount of give when I test it with my finger.  Then I know it's ready, and I turn it out onto a plate.  It needs no salt, because the salted butter provides just enough, and sometimes I eat it with a little bit of sriracha on the side.  When I cut open the yolk just a little bit of yellow oozes out of the center, but the edges of the yolk have hardened slightly.  This is the most delectable egg........But Isa likes her eggs to be cooked much differently.....

Isa:
I love eggs!They are great :-). My favorite way to cook them is when  they are crispy at the edges, soft whites ,and a soupy yolk.I like them unsalted and salted but unsalted makes the egg taste more fresh.I love taking an egg and sucking the juice out the middle , yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment